Can I Make Dough in a Food Processor? A food processor is known for its ability to handle many recipes in the kitchen. You can chop ingredients with a food processor, grind or mince in your food processor, puree, mix or blend, shred or grate, or slice with a food processor.
|Name||Features||Where to Buy|
|Braun FP2030 Food Processor||chop, slice, knead.||Get it on Amazon|
|Cuisinart DLC-8SBCYP1 Food Processor||universal, easy to use, and easy to clean.||Get it on Amazon|
|Oster FPSTFP1355 Food Processor||Versatile, easy to use, strong motor||Get on Amazon|
|Hamilton Beach Stack & Snap Food Processor||Universal, easy to use, easy to clean||Get on Amazon|
Now, what will be your reaction to this question? Do you think a food processor can make dough?
Yes, a food processor can knead the dough. If you want to make the dough for your bread, then you can rest assured that a food processor is a perfect machine. Aside from that, it is the kind of tool powerful enough to knead the dough.
Don’t worry, we will recommend some of the best food processors you should know about. You will find the best product that can give you the best outcome for your next bread for the family or for a commercial purpose.
How to Make the Dough in a Food Processor?
Bear in mind that some food processors are made with plastic dough blades that are designed for kneading. It is not as if you can’t use the standard metal multi-purpose blade, the issue is that you will have to monitor the progress of the dough closely to avoid it being overworked.
We will demonstrate steps that involve the kneading of the dough in your food processor using the dough blade. However, you may want to shorten the kneading time by one-third if you must use the metal blade option. Understand that these guides are general and can help make basic yeast bread.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl and pulse 3 to 4 times.
- Get a separate cup and proof the yeast by adding it to water.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredient in the bowl through the food processor using the feeding tube.
- Pulse for about three seconds before adding the remaining water to the ingredients through the food tube.
- Increase the speed of the food processor until a dough ball forms at around 20 seconds.
- Turn off the food processor, unplug and remove its lid. Dust the ball gently with flour.
- Pick up the dough ball and turn it over.
- Attach the lid again, plug it in, and pulse the food processor for another 20 to 30 seconds.
- Remove the dough.
- You can now unplug the food processor, remove the lid and blade, then remove the dough ball from the bowl.
- It is time to allow the dough to rise. To do so, you have to:
- Coat the dough ball lightly with olive oil, divide it in two and go back to your work bowl leaving the dough to rise for about 45 minutes.
- You can cover the dough with a damp cloth. The bake should be ready to bake after one or two proofs.
Brief Reviews of Some Recommended Food Processors
If you are willing to buy a new food processor this year, we are recommending these classic ones for you and we believe you will like them too.
Braun FP3020 12 Cup Food Processor
Braun is a brand that produces one of the best food processors you can use to process your food item at home and commercially. If you want to know more about this product, you can check the features below or follow the link we put in the recommendation.
- The food processor is used to chop, slice, whisk, knead, or boost the vitamin in your fruit through the juicer attachment.
- It comes with a dual control system that has various speeds. If you need even results without ramping up through all speeds, the pre-set speed will do that.
- Processing begins directly as soon as you select any of the 11 speeds that come with it.
- It is easy to clean and use, and it is dishwasher safe.
- The motor power is 600 watts and can process food easily.
Cuisinart DLC-8SBCYP1 Pro Custom 11-Cup Food Processor
Our second recommendation is the Cuisinart DLC-8SBCYP1 food processor, it comes with 11 cups and as such is one of the best tools you will ever find in modern kitchens. It is powerful and can save you time processing food items faster. Here are the features of the product:
- It has a superior function with 625 watts motor that makes it become a versatile food processor.
- It can offer you a variety of functions due to the numerous attachments and accessories that come with it.
- It is easy to use and the extra-large feed tube holds whole fruits and vegetables.
- It has an on/off/pulse, plus easy to clean.
- The food processor comes with a chopping and mixing blade. It has stainless steel shredding disc, medium slicing disc, detachable disc stem, compact flat cover, small and large pushers, instruction and recipe book, and spatula.
- Additional accessories that are sold separately
Oster FPSTFP1355 2-Speed 10-Cup Food Processor
Oster is another fantastic brand that creates one of the best kitchen tools like a food processor, and people are so obsessed with this very one. I have checked the reviews under this food processor, and most of them are fascinating despite some of the reviews being negative. We have some of the features here for you:
- It is a 500 watts motor food processor that comes with 2 speeds and pulse control buttons.
- It is a 5-inch wide food processor, largemouth food chute, and food pusher.
- The food processor is designed with reversible slicing and shredding disc.
- It comes with 10 cup capacity work bowl with a locking lid to prevent splitting.
- It also comes with a blade for making dough.
Hamilton Beach Stack & Snap Food Processor
Hamilton never seems to back off when it comes to producing the best food processors, I am not the only one praising this similar testimony on amazon. If you want to try the performance or power of this food processor, especially to make the dough for your next bread baking, then you are on the right track. Here are the features you may want to check:
- You can prepare the freshest ingredients, a powerful 450-watt motor, and 2 speeds plus pulse control that can save you time and money.
- You can use this powerful food processor with ease and the design is so simple that you only need to twist or lock it with ease.
- 12-cup capacity and sealed bowl that helps to prevent leaks when mixing liquids.
- The food processor comes with Stainless Steel, S-Blade, a reversible slice, and a shred disc and it can chop, slice, shred, mix and puree almost everything.
- It comes with a large feed chute, a big mouth feed, and a chute that fits whole food for fast, and easy processing, and less prep time.
- There is an instruction book that shows you how to use the food processor.
- It comes with Bowl, Lid, blade, and other tools alike.
Can I make Dough in a Blender?
After some research, I came into agreement with a comment that was able to give a strong reason you should not use a blender to make the dough. He mentioned that blenders work by creating a vortex that usually pulls down through the center.
For this reason, if you add protein powder to a blender pending when you turn it on, there will be clumps of it under the blades that will not mix up no matter what. Another issue is that ice and large chunks of fruit, vegetable, and more become broken due to the blades slamming into them at high speed.
When I look at the commentator’s opinion, I agreed with him that blenders cannot give you perfect highly dehydrated dough.
Aside from that, blender blades are too short, therefore the kind of their movement can’t knead ingredients accurately.
In that case, you will end up messing up everywhere and possibly blender burnout. Instead of risking your blender, why not think of another possible way to make things work?
Section two of the Article
Other ways to Knead Dough without a Food Processor
I am not saying that a food processor is an ideal machine to knead the dough, in fact, you should know that the most ideal machine to make the dough is a mixer. In this section of the article, we will mention other ways you can make dough.
Using a Stand Mixer
A stand mixer is a perfect machine to knead your dough. All you need to do is prepare your machine, get it ready and mix the ingredients as they should be mixed. I will show you how to knead the dough with a stand mixer immediately:
Kneading Dough with a Stand Mixer
- First of all couple the hand mixer if you haven’t done so before.
- Ensure that it is clean and free from dust.
- Test the motor to see if it works fine.
- Now add 80 grams of bread flour, 20 grams of whole wheat flour, 20 grams of sugar, 4 grams of instant dry yeast, and 20 grams of eggs in the stand mixer bowl.
- Pour 100 grams of warm water into the flour at 40C precisely.
- Now start the stand mixer and begin to mix the ingredients together.
- You can use a spatula or spoon to adjust the mixture in the bowl as you mix them together–it will ensure proper mixing.
- Once they are mixed well, you can switch off the stand mixer.
- Add another 80 grams of bread flour, 20 grams of whole wheat flour, 3 grams of salt, 20-gram unsalted butter to the initial mixture.
- Now switch on the stand mixer again.
- Mix the ingredients together again.
- Keep stirring the mixture with a spatula as the mixer mixes them together.
- This time, the mixture will be thicker and dryer.
- Keep guarding the dough with your spatula to be kneaded properly by the mixer in the center position.
- Once the mixture is well mixed this time, switch off the mixer again.
- Remove the machine from the mixture.
- Now it should be thicker and gummy to show it is now well kneaded.
That is how to knead the dough using a stand mixer.
How to Knead Dough with Hand?
What if you want to knead the dough by hand? Let’s say you want to make dough for bread or rolls. How do you go about it? I will show you how in this section:
- Get your board ready and prep its surface by sprinkling it with flour.
- Scrape out the dough using a plastic bowl scraper, wooden spoon, or your bear hand.
- Scrape the risen dough onto the well-floured work surface.
- Bear in mind that the dough may be sticky.
- Knead the dough with your hand.
- Keep kneading the dough by pulling it closer to your hand, holding it half away from you, then folding it halfway towards it.
- Place the heels of your both hands on the dough and use your body to push the dough into itself.
- If the dough sticks, use the scraper to pull it off the board.
- Sprinkle more flour on the dough and the work surface.
- Turn the dough, give it a quarter turn, grasp the side of the dough furthest from you, then fold it half away towards you.
- Place the heels of both your hands on top of the dough, and again push the dough into itself using your body.
- Keep adding a bit of flour until the dough is easier to work with.
- Note: You don’t need to overdo it otherwise you will lose the flour, salt, yeast, and water balance.
- Repeat the kneading action for several times until the dough is smooth, silky, and elastic for about 10 minutes.
- Prep the work surface.
- Scrape out the dough.
- Knead dough.
- Turn the dough.
- You can add other ingredients either based on your creativity or what you recently learned.
- You can add things like nuts, seeds or raisins, and more.
- Now that the dough is elastic, start working on it again with the new ingredients.
- Know that kneading by hand will not overwork your dough.
- After you have finished kneading the dough, shape it into a loose ball.
- Place it in a greased bowl, then turn the dough over a few times inside the bowl to coat the surface lightly with butter, or the oil you used to grease it.
- Turn the dough smooth part up to rest, then cover the bowl with a damp cloth or towel.
- Allow the dough to rise or follow the instruction you were given in the recipe book you are using.
- The dough is now ready. Prepare your bread in the oven as you may wish.
Can I make Dough in a food processor? I have answered your question and now, it shouldn’t longer be difficult for you to make the dough using your food processor. If you want to knead the dough, you can follow the steps we recommended in the article above.